Monday 4 October 2010

Research on Script Writing

In todays lesson I saw a very useful clip in order to get my partner and I ready to make our short film production. The clip was called 'How to format scenes in a film script'. I have learnt from this clip tht script writing is very important and there is a unique way of writing a proffesional film script. When I was writing up my script I had to quickly adapt to the way a proper film script is writing.

1. Scene Headings
I learnt that the rule of a film script is that a scene or a scene heading is needed evertime the time or the location of the film changes. The scene heading can be known as a slug-line and the purpose for it is that it allows the reader to know the place and also the time of each scene. As I was told from my Media teachers and I also did some reasearch on it, slug-lines should always be written in capital letters. When I wrote my script this was somethng tha I had to do. Also there is an order of information that I will have to follow to get it right they are; Whether the establishing shot is going to be taken inside or outside. There are specific names for it. Interior which means inside and Exterior which means outside. In my script I had to describe the general location of where I was going to shoot my estblishing shot. After focusing on the WHERE part part i then have to focus of the WHEN part. When I go to produce my film Ihave to think of whether I want to film in the day time or at night. When I was writing my script I looked on google for slug lines. I found that the time of day has to be put at the end of the slug-lines.

2. Scene Direction
The scene direction is the bit that will hold the non dialogue and all the narators descriptions and characters actions within the story line. When I am writing the scene direction there is a specific way of writing it. It should be 1.5 inches from the left hand of the page and each line should be no more than 6 inches wide. I learnt and took into concideration that a narrative text should be written in the lower case and also it should be written in the present tense. Moreover narrative text should be single spaced and very clear. A writters job is to focus just on the storyline and the characters in the storyline.

3. Entrances and Exits
Fade in and Fade out are one of the most common terms used to indicate the beginning and the ending a film. Fade in is always used at the very start of the film and Fade out is always used at the very end of the film or script. There are other terms to indicate a beginning and end of a film e.g. Fade to black, dissolve etc. If I am going to use a fade out in my film then I will have to keep in mind that I have to fade in, into the the next scene. This has to happen in order to make the film flow.
The link the the video clip is bellow.
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-format-scenes-in-a-film-script

No comments:

Post a Comment